This is our current layout as of Episode #54 Barry; episodes #38-53 all followed the 4 part break down. Most of these sections have been present since our first episodes. We would love any and all feedback! Leave it here, twitter, or facebook. Fill out our survey here (takes less than 4 minutes).
Pilots and Petards Podcast Outline
Minisodes: spoiler free discussion
- Podcast and Episode Introduction– introduce the co-hoisters, any guests, new info, briefly explain the Pilots and Petards Podcast, and give any other news too important to save for shop talk.
- Background– your co-hoisters share their experiences with the show and reasons for choosing the pilot, as well as any series background.
- Two Sentence Summary– one of your co-hoisters gives what you need to know about the plot in two sentences.
Part 1: spoiler free pilot analysis and evaluation
- High Points– anything in the episode that is outstanding, or whatever your co-hoisters enjoyed.
- Low Points– anything in the episode that stood out in a negative way, and whatever disgusted, dissatisfied, disappointed, and all those other dis’es.
- Pilot MVP– the most valuable part of the pilot.
- Watch or Rewatch– your co-hoisters declare if they will continue to watch or rewatch the rest of the series.
- To Hoist, or Not to Hoist– the final judgement of the episode. Was the show a success? Or was the show a self destructive disaster (hoisted by its own petard)?
- Quest for the Best/Worst– placing and comparing the pilot with the running list of best and worst pilots ever.
Extended Discussion: heavy spoilers
Part 2: film/literary analysis
- Crabman Award– a supporting character that gives way more than they take with limited screen time, small role, grand contributions.
- Literary analysis– breaking down the story, plot, and or characters. Symbols, alternate interpretations, ect.
Part 3: pilot’s connections to hoisters, society, culture, or the world
- Dangling Threads– any ideas of interest that didn’t fit into parts 1 and 2. Usually themes in the pilot or series. Or news surround actors or creators.
- Petardar– recommendations of media (TV, movies, comics, books, etc.) based on the pilot.
Part 4: the fun and nonsense part
- Petard Trivia: useless questions from or closely related to the pilot.
- Shop Talk– plugs, reviews, next week, and Jimbo’s favorite part of the show, where they just say whatever, and often talk about shop.